Shop Manager (Bethesda, MD)
About The Sill: Biophilic design for the naturally curious.
Welcome to cultivating a life well-lived. We are the direct-to-consumer destination for plants and biophilic design. At The Sill, our mission is to bring life to people and people to life, which includes fostering an environment of inclusion, resilience and growth for all.
We’re looking for a Shop Manager to join our growing team. As a Shop Manager you will oversee, plan, and execute daily operations at one of The Sill’s retail shops. You are a plant-impassioned, business-minded individual with a management background who has a love for fast paced, startup environments. You are a self-starter and will communicate daily tasks and lead training for your retail shop with a natural ability to drive results and motivate teams to positively impact the business. Your efforts will result in increased sales/KPI’s in shops, happy/informed teams, and satisfied loyal customers.
Location: This role will be located in Bethesda, MD (Bethesda Row)
Reporting: This role reports to the Senior Retail Manager. This position will oversee the entire shop team consisting of Senior Shopkeepers, Shop Inventory Specialist, and Shopkeepers.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Display The Sill's values, “Culture of Yes”, the brand history and mission in your interactions with customers and teammates
- Uphold The Sill’s “plant expert” reputation, ensuring proper in-shop plant care is being maintained while training and keeping teams informed on any new products, plant care, and troubleshooting tips
- Develop local marketing strategy and relationships with local neighbors to encourage cross-promotion of businesses and plan co-branded events/social activations in the local community
- Effectively communicate service opportunities and directly handle escalated customer service situations in shop and across customer feedback platforms (Yelp, customer satisfaction survey, Google) to develop solutions and drive shop net promoter score (NPS) of (80%+)
- Maintain a visible shop presence, splitting your time effectively between administrative responsibilities and guiding the employee and customer experience in real time
- Prepare and conduct bi-weekly 1:1s, monthly team meetings, and bi-annual growth path conversations for all shop employees
- Effectively communicate all relevant company, product, and retail-specific information through various channels & methods to ensure communication is flowing consistently.
- Communicate hiring needs to Senior Retail Manager, conduct interviews, and own shop hiring and onboarding (management roles need Senior Retail Manager approval)
- Develop cross-functional relationships with CX, experiential marketing, planning & operations
- Drive shop KPIs (sales, AOV, UPT, labor/retention, shrinkage, email capture, conversion, and NPS)
- Develop expertise in standard operating procedures (SOP’s), and various daily operational systems (NetSuite, Shopify, Gmail account, phone, local delivery platforms, Asana, Slack, etc), processing transactions and responding to inter-company communication as needed
- Attend weekly shop management business update calls and own daily, weekly and monthly reporting of shop results, compiling observations to create action plans and send weekly business recaps to senior retail management
- Own inventory controls, managing the Shop Inventory Specialist
- Own all visual merchandising/signage directions following company guidelines.
- Manage shop schedules, payroll submissions and labor budgets in compliance with company guidelines
- Troubleshoot and resolve maintenance, IT, and facilities issues as they arise
- Strategize daily tasks/zoning and ensure the team is equipped with updated daily deliverables, checklists, plant care schedules, etc. at all times
- Partner with planning, operations, and senior retail management on product flow to maximize assortment sell-through and reduce shrink
Key Traits & Qualifications:
- 3-5+ years of experience in a retail, hospitality, or customer service setting with 2+ years in a leadership position
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency and lift/carry up to 50lbs.
- A passion for plants is a must and horticultural background is a plus!
- Comfortable providing clear and effective upward feedback, delegating tasks, motivating others, and getting their hands dirty- yes, we work with dirt!
- Strong attention to detail and proficiency in business acumen and KPIs
- Ability to maintain a positive, optimistic, empathetic attitude at all times – highly respectful of others
- Proven experience and passion for managing, training, developing, career-pathing, and mentoring a team with customer centricity in mind
- Full Time: You will be expected to work 40 hours/week
- You must be available on weekends and some nights
- Available to work during retail black out periods and holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, etc.
- Stay healthy and happy through our comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and more
- Invest in your future by participating in our 401(k) program
- Make time for you through our 3 weeks of paid time off (prorated based on hire date), paid sick time policy, and our generous holiday calendar
- Care for your wellbeing through our personalized mental health and wellness resources
- Grow your family and take part in paid primary caregiver and other parental leave policies
- Cultivate your very own green space through The Sill’s 50% employee discount!
Salary Range: $28-30Salary ranges for all of our positions are pre-determined on where the position is leveled within our growth path matrix. Salary ranges are reviewed during your first interview to ensure alignment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are committed to creating a more diverse, inclusive and equitable world, starting here at The Sill and leading by example beyond the workplace.
Our intent is to build an environment where people are free to bring their fullest selves to their work. We celebrate diversity of age, race, traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to: hair texture, hair type, and protective hairstyles, ethnicity, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (including genetic characteristics), genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, citizenship status.
The Sill is dedicated to living out these principles in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.
Interested in the position, but have a question before you apply? Please reach out to us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.