Inventory Specialist, Williamsburg
About The Sill: Biophilic design for the naturally curious.
We are the direct-to-consumer destination for plants and biophilic design. Our mission is to bring life to people and people to life, which includes fostering an environment of inclusion, resilience and growth for all. At The Sill, we offer new ways to infuse nature into as many everyday rituals as possible through biophilic design, increasing your connectivity to the natural world.
We’re looking for a Shop Inventory Specialist to join our growing team. As a Shop Inventory Specialist, you are a plant-impassioned, business-minded individual who can work independently with strong attention to detail. You possess a drive to grow, learn, and lead in a specialized operations-focused role that will result in tighter in-shop efficiencies. You love to train plant enthusiasts and plant novices alike about all things plant care and product handling. You thrive in fast paced environments, and are driven to achieve operational results while providing a positive customer and team experience at a variety of touchpoints. This is a Part-Time position (20-30 hr/week)
Areas of Responsibility:
- Display The Sill's values, “Culture of Yes”, the brand history and mission in your interactions with customers and teammates
- Actively engage & greet all customers while customer facing, driving shop KPI goals and offering support as needed/when not scheduled for specific inventory responsibilities.
- Develop expertise in various daily operational systems, training materials, and SOP’s (NetSuite, Shopify, Gmail account, phone, local delivery platforms, Asana, Slack, etc), processing transactions and responding to inter-company communication as needed
- Accurately open and close the shop as an effective and responsible Keyholder and assume supervisory responsibility when shop management is not present
- Maintain security and safety awareness within the shop, following The Sill’s safety guidelines at all times.
- Liaise between customers and Customer Service teams when necessary, using proper communication channels and navigating through difficult customer situations with ease.
- Assist with in-store events, community initiatives, and workshops as scheduled.
- Be the “plant expert” for the shop, building a holistic knowledge of The Sill’s product line and developing a working knowledge of all of The Sill’s plants and plant care.
- Develop and maintain a master plant care schedule in partnership with shop management, delegating daily tasks and changing the schedule as needed.
- Ensure the shop team is versed on all inventory handling controls and plant care practices/SOP’s. Conduct re-training in partnership with shop management as needed.
- Lead and complete weekly/monthly cycle counts following the company guidelines, identify common themes and discrepancies, and compile recaps to senior management with opportunities. Support shop management in preparing action plans where needed
- Maintain a clean and orderly shop, adhering to all cleanliness and upkeep guidelines
- Lead and complete accurate receiving (transfer orders) of weekly/bi-weekly inventory shipments and compile recaps and feedback to senior management
- Complete all product shrinkage and internal transfers with accuracy
- Compile and send weekly supply and packaging requests to shop management
- Support in maintaining visual merchandising as needed in partnership with the Sr. Shopkeeper
- Own inventory standards, ensuring proper barcoding and on-hand accuracy at all times
- Own all back of house and storage area organization and communicate standards to the team for daily upkeep
$19-$21 per hour
Salary ranges for all of our positions are pre-determined on where the position is leveled within our growth path matrix. Salary ranges are reviewed during your first interview to ensure alignment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are committed to creating a more diverse, inclusive and equitable world, starting here at The Sill and leading by example beyond the workplace.
Our intent is to build an environment where people are free to bring their fullest selves to their work. We celebrate diversity of age, race, traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to: hair texture, hair type, and protective hairstyles, ethnicity, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (including genetic characteristics), genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, citizenship status.
The Sill is dedicated to living out these principles in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.
- 2+ years of experience in a retail role- operations, merchandising, or inventory focus preferable
- Love of The Sill and a natural plant enthusiast. Prior plant background/knowledge is a plus!
- Ability to lift/carry up to 50lbs
- Ability to stand for a full 8 hour shift
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency
- Comfortable providing upward feedback, delegating tasks, and getting your hands dirty- yes, we work with dirt!
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational, follow-up, and communication skills
- Ability to receive constructive criticism and feedback with a willingness to learn and improve
- Ability to maintain a positive, optimistic, empathetic attitude at all times – highly respectful of others
- Schedule Requirements:
- You must be available on weekday mornings and preferably some evenings
- You must be flexible to work between 4 and 8 hour shifts
- You must be available to work during heavy traffic sales (ex: Sidewalk Sale)
- Available to work during retail black out periods and holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, etc.
- Invest in your future by participating in our 401(k) program
- Make time for you through our paid sick time policy
- Cultivate your very own green space through The Sill’s 50% employee discount!