Shopkeeper - Part Time - (Bethesda, MD)
Welcome to cultivating a life well-lived. We are the direct-to-consumer destination for plants and biophilic design. At The Sill, our mission is to bring life to people and people to life, which includes fostering an environment of inclusion, resilience and growth for all.
We’re looking for a Shopkeeper to join our growing team. As a Shopkeeper you are a plant-impassioned and team-oriented individual who has a balance of retail, customer service experience and novice plant knowledge. You love to meet plant enthusiasts and offer styling and care advice, patiently teaching plant novices about all of the amazing things The Sill has to offer. You thrive in fast paced environments and have the ability to maintain a positive, resilient attitude in the face of ambiguity, growth, and change. You are a team-player who has a strong desire to meet your goals while providing a positive customer experience.
This role will be located in Bethesda, Maryland (Bethesda Row).
This role reports to the Shop Manager.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Display The Sill's values, “Culture of Yes”, the brand history and mission in your interactions with customers and teammates
- Engage & greet all customers with a focus on suggestive selling. Be an active contributor in meeting daily and weekly shop sales (KPI) goals
- Liaise between customers and Customer Service teams when necessary, using proper company communication channels and navigating through difficult customer situations with ease
- Encourage community engagement and customer retention through use of shop social media, customer satisfaction surveys, driving email capture and customer loyalty initiatives
- Act as a “plant expert” in shop, building a holistic knowledge of The Sill’s product line and developing a working knowledge of all of The Sill’s plants and plant care
- Assist with in shop events, community initiatives, and workshops as scheduled
- Assist with daily plant care maintenance, shop deliveries, visual merchandising, cleaning/maintenance, and inventory handling tasks as scheduled
- Navigate various training materials, standard operating procedures (SOP’s), and daily operational systems with accuracy (Instagram, Gmail account, phone, local delivery platforms, Asana, Slack, etc), processing orders and receiving/responding to inter-company communication as needed
- Participate in company trainings and assist with training and shadowing of new hires as scheduled
- Develop expertise in operating the point of sale system (Shopify), handling all transactions accurately, and navigate basic troubleshooting
- Accurately open and close the shop as an effective and responsible Keyholder
Key Traits & Qualifications:
- 1+ years of experience in a retail, hospitality, or customer service setting
- Ability to lift/carry up to 50lbs
- Ability to stand for a full 8 hour shift
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency
- Ability to navigate priorities, multi-task, follow-up, and ask for assistance when needed
- Ability to receive constructive criticism and feedback with a willingness to learn and improve
- Ability to maintain a positive, optimistic, empathetic attitude at all times – highly respectful of others
- Must be detail-oriented and have strong organizational and communication skills
- Not afraid to get dirty at work- yes, we work with dirt!
- Love of The Sill and a natural plant enthusiast!
- Part Time: You will be expected to work 10-25 hours/week depending on seasonality
- You must be available on weekends and some weekdays and nights
- You must be flexible to work between 4 and 8 hour shifts as scheduled
- Available to work during retail black out periods and holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, etc.
- Invest in your future by participating in our matched 401(k) program
- Make time for you through our paid sick time policy
- Cultivate your very own green space through The Sill’s 50% employee discount!
$17-$21 per hour
Salary ranges for all of our positions are pre-determined on where the position is leveled within our growth path matrix. Salary ranges are reviewed during your first interview to ensure alignment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
We are committed to creating a more diverse, inclusive and equitable world, starting here at The Sill and leading by example beyond the workplace.
Our intent is to build an environment where people are free to bring their fullest selves to their work. We celebrate diversity of age, race, traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to: hair texture, hair type, and protective hairstyles, ethnicity, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (including genetic characteristics), genetic information, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, citizenship status.
The Sill is dedicated to living out these principles in regard to all aspects of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, placement, transfer, training, promotion, rates of pay, and other compensation, termination, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment.
Interested in the position, but have a question before you apply? Please reach out to us by emailing email@example.com.