Senior Director of Engineering, Caregiver Experience
Our mission: to eliminate every barrier to mental health.
Spring Health is a comprehensive mental health solution for employers and health plans. Unlike any other solution, we use clinically validated technology called Precision Mental Healthcare to pinpoint and deliver exactly what will work for each person — whether that’s meditation, coaching, therapy, medication, and beyond.
Today, Spring Health equips over 800 companies, from start-ups to multinational Fortune 500 corporations, as a leading and preferred mental health service. Companies like J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., Microsoft, J.B. Hunt, Bumble, and Instacart use the Spring Health platform to provide mental health services to thousands of their team members globally. We have raised over $370 million from prominent investors including Kinnevik, Tiger Global, Northzone, RRE Ventures, and many more. Thanks to their partnership, our current valuation has reached $2.5 billion.
We are looking for an experienced, strategic and technicalSenior Director of Engineering, who cares about impact, ownership, cross-functional projects, and mentorship. This leader will be owning between 3 and 6 of cross-functional product engineering teams, focused on software products that Spring Health offers to providers and other care team members. These autonomous teams include dedicated product managers, designers, engineering managers along with full stack engineers who build caregiver-facing features across our web platform
This role will report to the CTO of Spring Health.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, and guidance to a growing organization with multiple managers and a team of a few dozen engineers.
- Partner with product, business, and operations stakeholders on roadmaps, timelines, and technical strategy
- Partner with engineering leadership to set standards, technical vision, and uphold our workplace philosophy
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics for quality and velocity and holding your teams accountable to them
- Communicate engineering successes while illustrating the business value of delivered capabilities. And you’ll translate business opportunities into engineering initiatives
- Work with executive leadership to set expectations. You’ll manage risks, dependencies and tradeoffs inevitable in complex project delivery
- Be a coach, thought partner, and sounding board. You will help your team build problem-solving skills by practicing reflective listening, asking good questions, and giving timely, direct and kind feedback and encouragement.
- Recruit, engage, and retain great problem-solvers and collaborators. You’ll be responsible for building diverse, inclusive teams, where everyone feels comfortable and safe being themselves at work.
What We Expect From You:
- You have 10+ years of experience as an engineer or technologist
- You have significant experience as a hands-on individual contributor earlier in your career and you are still able read and write code when necessary.
- You know how to participate in the technical details while still empowering your team to make decisions
- You have a deep understanding of modern SaaS platforms, particularly observability and data driven decision making development practices
- You enjoy coming up with pragmatic solutions to concrete problems using first principles thinking
- 6+ years of management experience; We’ll want to hear how your reports developed and grew under your leadership, how you made your work environment inclusive and psychologically safe, and how you hold your teams accountable for delivering high quality software.
- 3+ years managing engineering managers; You have a track record of coaching and mentoring engineering leaders on both technical and management tracks
- You have exceptional verbal and written communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them.
- You have the ability to attract talent and develop high performing teams. Proven recruiting experience as a hiring manager. You have experience hiring and growing senior leaders and managers
- You have a strong business acumen, and comfortable interacting with customers directly when needed
- You have the ability to balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
Bonus points if you have experience in:
- Working at a high growth startup
- Working on SaaS software
- Working in Healthcare Technology, especially electronic health records
- Experience working at companies that have a global presence (e.g. infrastructure deployed in multiple geographies)
- Experience defining and building new teams and departments from scratch
- Experience managing vendor relationships, negotiating contracts, and forecasting budgets
The target salary range for this position is $226,000 - $276,000, and is part of a competitive total rewards package including stock options, benefits, and incentive pay for eligible roles. Individual pay may vary from the target range and is determined by a number of factors including experience, location, internal pay equity, and other relevant business considerations. We review all employee pay and compensation programs annually at minimum to ensure competitive and fair pay.
Don’t meet every requirement? Studies have shown that women, communities of color and historically underrepresented talent are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Spring Health we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we strongly encourage you to apply. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!
Ready to do the most impactful work of your life? Learn more about our values, how we work, and how hypergrowth meets impact at Spring Health: Our Values
Hypergrowth meets impact
What to expect working here:
- You will be held accountable to an exceptionally high bar and impact
- This may be the fastest work environment you will ever experience in terms of growth, decision-making, and time to impact
- You will be challenged to set and protect your own boundaries
- You will create processes & products that have never existed before
- You will have very direct conversations and receive continuous feedback to push you to become the highest performer you can be
- Change is a constant here: your role, team, responsibilities, and success metrics will shift as the company grows
- You get to be surrounded by some of the brightest minds in the field
- You get to learn and grow at an extremely accelerated pace
- You will experience transparency, integrity, & humility from leadership
- You will be empowered to constantly challenge the status quo
- You get the space to experiment & innovate
- You get to make a transformational impact for the company, mental health, and for real human lives — and you will see that impact quickly
- You will become more resourceful and resilient
- You get to be part of a winning team that opens doors in the future
Benefits provided by Spring Health:
Your Total Health:
- Generous medical, dental, vision coverage available day 1 + access to One Medical
- 20 total yearly no-cost visits to the Spring Health network of therapists, coaches, and medication management providers for you and your dependents
- Flexible paid time off in addition to 12 paid holidays throughout the year
- $500 per year Wellness Reimbursement
- Access to Gympass, an on-demand virtual benefit that provides wellbeing coaching, and budget management.
- Spring Health provides access to QuitGenius, a platform with technology-tailored, personalized addiction treatment plans for substance use (*QG is available to benefit-enrolled employees, spouses, and dependents age 18+)
- Sabbatical Leave: When you’re a Team Member at Spring Health and hit your four-year Springaversary, you’ll be awarded a four week, fully paid, sabbatical leave.
You And Your family:
- 4-4.5 months of fully paid parental leave
- Spring Health provides team members and their families with sponsored access to Bright Horizons® child care, back-up care, and elder care.
- Access to Joshin is provided by Spring Health. Joshin is a comprehensive support system for disabilities and neurodivergence in the workplace. This benefit supports employees, their families, and our teams through personalized navigation and disability education and training along with a network of screened in-home caregivers with disability and neurodivergent experience.
- Access to fertility care support through Carrot, in addition to $4,000 reimbursement for related fertility expenses
Supporting you financially through:
- Our People team benchmarks all salaries using the Radford Global Compensation Database for technology and life sciences industries. Radford benchmarks salaries with 3,589 global firms, 6.5 million employees, and 98 countries across the globe. We do this to ensure all of our team members are paid equally and competitively.
- On top of competitive and benchmarked salary, Spring Health offers incentive pay (based on role), and equity that begins vesting as we celebrate your first year with the company!
- Employer sponsored 401(k) match of up to 2% after 90 days of employment
Creating a culture you can thrive in:
- Flexible work arrangements: 60% of Spring Health team members work fully remote while 40% work in a hybrid model from our New York City offices
- Focus Fridays: no meetings, no distractions, just time for you to get work done.
- Focus Weeks: In Spring 2023, we held our first ever Focus Week, we canceled all non-essential meetings, minimized distractions, and you, our team members, to dive into the key work that gets chopped up or deprioritized during the regular day-to-day. We saw a 36% jump in the average energized score after those five days of flow state work and are finalizing a plan for quarterly Focus Weeks for team members.
- Up to $1,000 Professional Development Reimbursement per calendar year.
- $200 per year donation matching to support your favorite causes
Spring Health is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable legal requirements. Spring Health is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.