COO - Chief Operating Officer
Employment Type: Full Time Contract
Start date: ASAP
Location: Based in the USA (ideally East or West Coast - remote work)
RadSwan is the conscious beauty brand built with, and for the Global African Diaspora. The brand was initially launched in March 2017 as Big Hair No Care by Cosmopolitan’s 2018 Influencer of the Year, Freddie Harrel. Now rebranded as RadSwan, the company has raised over $2m in seed funding from an all-female group of investors including BBG Ventures, Female Founders Fund and Pritzker.
Centering innovation, sustainability and co-creation, RadSwan is transforming the design, sourcing, and sale of natural black hair extensions, wigs, and clip-ins -- and the first to create a customer-centric ecommerce experience for high-quality synthetic hair products at an accessible price point.
The RadSwan demographic spends a total of $12B annually on haircare, 6 times more than average. The hair market alone is ~$7 billion, 53% of which is synthetic hair. While almost two-thirds of black women wear protective styles, they own only 1% of black hair businesses. RadSwan is the first modern hair brand developed by and for the black female consumer, delivering trusted content and high-quality products on a friction-free commerce platform.
About the role:
We are currently looking for a COO, someone aligned with our values eager to build a start-up from the ground up, to develop long-term plans; build a diverse, talented team; and execute on the vision.
The COO is a key leader who will establish the strategic direction of RadSwan’s operations, and will help build the early team for all departments across the company. This role is broad in nature, and will oversee all aspects of the business from supply chain to marketing to distribution.
The COO is responsible for driving growth while setting the company up to scale efficiently. This role is for those eager to take their knowledge of high-growth ecommerce companies and apply it to an early-stage business in order to see maximum reward.
*Depending on the candidate, this may be a co-founder role. *
Strategy, Growth & Expansion
- Setting the vision for the company and defining the overall strategy from its current early stage to scale
- Defining performance metrics to measure, compare, and evaluate all aspects of the company.
- Building strategic partnerships and relationships to drive growth, profitability and company value
- Developing and implementing scalable and efficient strategies to ensure consistent results and exponential growth
- Developing and executing expansion into new distribution channels that align with company vision
- Work cross-functionally to establish a roadmap for revenue-driving growth through strategic business planning and forecasting.
** eCommerce & Operations**
- Overseeing strategy and execution for all marketing channels that drive ecommerce growth
- Identifying and delivering COGS improvements, while improving the customer’s overall experience
- Owning the operational budget and managing burn rate
- Owning various KPI's across organization to include COGS, Gross Margin, LTV & LTR, Retention, Engagement, Growth % YoY & MoM
- Driving day-to-day operations of the company
- Attracting, retaining and developing world-class talent
- Providing expert guidance to all departments, including operations, marketing and product development
- Establishing policies that promote company culture and vision
- Provide leadership, guidance, and mentorship for managers across RadSwan
- Be an exemplar of culture and set pillars to create culture of innovation, accountability, transparency, and honesty
Fundraising & Stakeholders
Reporting updates to investors regarding progress on strategic goals
Assisting CEO in fundraising activities through meeting with potential investors, working with existing investors, presenting quarterly reports to the Board of Directors, and maintaining good relationships with existing & potential investors
- Demonstrated operational leadership at high-growth omnichannel company
- P&L responsibilities at COO or another senior level
- Proven track record of building successful products and high performing teams from the ground up
- Business and financial acumen combined with KPI-oriented analytical skills
- Experience as part of high level team that has grown a business beyond 50mm+ in revenue
- Experience hiring and mentoring talent to build a mission-driven, high performing team
- Experience promoting and implementing a culture of high achievement and continuous improvement through goal setting and measurement.
- A holistic, outside the box thinker who loves product, brand and outstanding customer service
- Self starter, driven, and able to work collaboratively
- DTC experience in any category a plus
- Startup experience with involvement in fundraising a plus
- Motivated by the mission
- Interest and eagerness to execute day-to-day actions across every department of the company
- Strong entrepreneurial mindset
You don’t need to have all these qualifications, but if you think you have what it takes, apply
Compensation and benefits:
- Competitive compensation
- Equity compensation
- Health plan
- Unlimited vacation
- Remote work