Sr. Product Designer (Physical Product)
Mountain View, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, July 29, 2023
KiwiCo is an innovative e-commerce company that sparks kids’ creativity and curiosity through offline and online materials and inspiration. We offer kids a delightful, engaging way to explore, create, and learn. Our core offering is a subscription service. We design and deliver awesome hands-on projects to kids. We also manage an e-commerce storefront and content platform. We take great pride and ownership in the products we build and in the community of parents and kids we serve. Our office is located in Mountain View, within walking distance to the Caltrain station. Currently, we work a hybrid schedule of Tuesday and Wednesday in-office and remote work the rest of the week.
We are looking for a Senior Product Designer who is passionate about spearheading the development of compelling and innovative STEAM products for kids. In this role, you will manage and mentor product designers to deliver innovative and fun new products that significantly contribute to KiwiCo’s growth. You will lead initiatives to elevate the end to end experiences we create for kids and families, from the moment of unboxing, to the look and feel of our products, to fun and engaging play. You will maintain a high bar for quality and ensure the age appropriateness of new products, informed by insights from play testing. In this role, you will:
- Create innovative product experiences that exceed customer expectations
- Help mentor and lead an exceptional product design team. Manage a small team of product designers.
- Establish product vision and direction, while efficiently and effectively driving project timelines.
- Maintain a high bar for quality around all products designed by the team. Leverage extensive kid testing in the development process.
- Work in a highly iterative and collaborative way, directly alongside sourcing, editorial, graphic design, and marketing.
- We seek team players with an infectious positive energy, great initiative, and a get-it-done attitude. Required skills and qualifications include:
- 6+ years of designing physical products. You have experience with all aspects of the product development process, from conception through to a finished product. You are passionate about the design process and tirelessly pursue excellence in design & consumer experience. You have built and nurtured loved consumer products.
- 1-2 years of experience managing or leading a team of product designers.
- Design leadership experience. You have experience building, mentoring and leading a high-performing team of product designers. Able to lead across the entire product life cycle and to prioritize and manage resources against project timelines and deliverable dates.
- Passionate about kids, creativity, play, and learning. You love bringing a spark to a child’s eye as they learn something fun and new.
- Proven record of innovation. Ability to think creatively and critically - you understand how to balance business objectives with user needs.
- Exceptional communication skills. Ability to clearly explain product decisions to business partners (marketing, inventory management, editorial, graphic design, eCommerce teams).
- Experience in an entrepreneurial startup environment
- Experience with children’s products
Please apply by submitting a resume and cover letter telling us why you're interested in KiwiCo and what you think you'd bring to this specific position and our team.
If you’re passionate about delivering innovative, delightful, and enriching products and experiences for kids, we’d love to hear from you.
KiwiCo is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Individuals seeking employment at KiwiCo are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected category.
For the health and safety of our employees, proof of Covid -19 vaccination will be required for all employees who will be at KiwiCo Mountain View. KiwiCo will make reasonable accommodations to this policy for sincerely held religious beliefs and medical reasons on a case-by-case basis. This will not impact the consideration of your candidacy.